I'm so excited to present The Glam Mom's first Guest Blogger - Ameerah of Valiantly Varnished! Ameerah is an awesome nail artist and below she offers some super simple tips for a fast manicure for all of us busy moms. There is a special announcement at the end, so make sure to KEEP READING! And THANK YOU Ameerah for this blog!
Hi all! My name is Ameerah and I write the blog Valiantly Varnished. Though I love all things beauty, makeup and fashion my specialty is nail polish and nail art. Michelle was kind enough to ask me to write a post for you busy moms on how to keep your nails looking amazing without having to spend tons of time (that I know you don't have!) on them. I have a confession - I hate doing my manicures. Seriously. It's the least fun bit of the whole thing for me and it can be time-consuming. But I also love the satisfaction (and the saved cash!) of doing my own nails. So my personal routine is not that different from this one. I just swapped out a few things to make this process easy peasy for all of you.
1. Remove any nail polish and clean your nails. While Ulta Regular Nail Polish Remover Pads were made for travel, I think they are perfect for a busy mom with small kids. It can be dangerous- and scary - to have a bottle of acetone around small kids so these pads are a great, cheap, quick and most importantly- safe alternative. And one pad cleans ALL nails!
2. Wash your hands to remove any residue from nails.
3. Push back cuticles with orange stick and apply cuticle oil. Gently push back your cuticle (while you nails and hands are still damp (not wet) and then apply cuticle oil. Please pretty please ladies - DO NOT CUT YOUR CUTICLES!! This is so bad for your nails AND your cuticles. Not to mention that it opens you up to infection. Nail salons do this for expedience sake but it is actually a real no-no. If you do get your manicures done in a salon tell them to skip that part and simply push your cuticles back. Your nails will thank you. Bliss Kiss Cuticle Oil is a great option. It comes in a pen so you can toss it in your purse and apply whenever you need it. Cuticle care is the key to healthy nails and honestly - if your cuticles are on point you don't have to worry about anything else if you don't want to.
4. Apply Nail Strengthener or base coat. If you are simply going to go with clear nails then I would suggest using a strengthener instead of a base coat. Never walk around with completely naked nails if you can help it. Naked nails are vulnerable to splitting, peeling and damage. I know most mothers are always washing something or someone so protect your nails from day to day stress by applying a strengthener. *Please note that strengtheners should only be worn for two weeks at a time. After that give your nails a break and use a base coat. OPI Nail Envy is a popular strengthener that can be worn alone or as a base coat under polish. If you will be using a darker colored polish I HIGHLY recommend using a base coat. My base coat of choice is KBShimmer Basic Training.
5. Apply your polish. Now, I know their are some glamorous Moms out there - after all this is the Glam Mom blog, but most of my friends with kids stick with lighter colored polish because who wants to walk around with chipped red polish and who has the time to fix said chipped red polish? Zoya recently released an entire Naked Manicure System that is perfect for a subtle yet pretty manicure. You can choose a color based on the shade of your nail bed to give you that fresh, healthy just done manicure look! People have been raving about this line! Just choose a color and a preferred top coat finish (glossy or satin) and you're good to go. And Zoya is a 5 free company so no need to worry about fumes or dangerous chemicals around your little ones.
6. Top coat those nails to make them last! It can be a pain to wait for top coat to dry. Luckily you don't have to! The future is now folks and there are TONS of fast dry top coat options. I personally use KBShimmer Clearly on Top. It dries in LITERALLY two minutes. It's magic! And this will guard against chipping and make your manicure last longer.
7. Apply your hand cream and you're done. I use Dermasil on my body and have been using it on my hands as well for the last few days and I love it. It's fragrance free, and paraben free which is so important when you have sensitive skin or your hands are always in water. And it moisturizes really well!
You're done! Life can continue and you get to have pretty nails while chasing the kiddos around. Everyone wins!
Now, here's the SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT. Ameerah and I are doing a joint GIVEAWAY!!! All of our US and Canadian followers are eligible.
Use the widget below so we can track your entry.
* a Rafflecopter giveaway *
That's it!!! I'm excited to share this with you all and I hope you enjoyed it! Let's see some photos of those pretty, healthy manis! And good luck!!!
Until next time,